10 Geographical Wonders Associated with the Car Nicobar IslandThe Andaman and Nicobar Islands cover a much wider area than just the islands that come under the region of Andaman. The sister section of the Nicobar Islands too comprise of several tourists attractions, of which the most prominent one is Car Nicobar. This island is referred to as ‘Pu’ in the local language and is one of the 2 administrative districts of the Nicobar group of Islands. This region is located right between the Little Andaman Island and Nancowry Island and dock within the Nicobar Islands Chain.
The Car Nicobar Island was quite ferociously damaged during the 2004 Tsunami. This disastrous and unforgettable natural calamity caused a lot of damage to the 15 villages located within the island as it is quite well populated region unlike most other places within the Andaman and Nicobar Island groups. But the Car Nicobar Island is marked by several natural and geographical wonders which make it a great tourist attraction. A stay of a couple of days at this island can add memorable moments to your trip of the union territory.
Tourists can easily associate at least 10 natural or geographical wonders to the Car Nicobar region, all of which are listed below:
1. First and foremost, the Car Nicobar Island is an extremely and remarkably flat Island with barely some cliffs and small hills towards the north and the interior section. The flat beaches make for an amazing area to bathe and swim in the sea
2. In spite of being absolutely flat, the Island is quite fertile and has numerous patches of coconut and palm trees bordered by the roaring clear blue sea
3. Another wondrous fact about the Island is that, it covers an area of only 127 square kilometers and is way smaller in size when compared to the Middle and Southern Andaman region, but still the Island comprises of 15 villages with tribal families living in thousands. This is due to the fertile nature of the land that marks the availability of a source of income and thereby food
4. The Car Nicobar has a tropical weather, much like the other Islands of the union territory region, but the wonderful thing is that the area is exactly 9 degrees away from the Equator that leads to an average rainfall of around 400mm every year
5. The strange part about the Island is that, although the land here is fertile, the growth of agricultural crops is not possible due to the presence of sand and clay in the soil of the region. But coconut trees, palm trees and areca nut trees are possible, which come under plantation crops
6. The Car Nicobar Island, being rich in flora and fauna, has a variety of almost 2200 species of plants, of which 200 are endemic and 1300 are not found in the main land of India
7. Another very strange natural wonder associated with the Car Nicobar Island is that with in spite of a variety of plants species and being close to the Equator, the island is almost completely devoid of any evergreen trees, which is much unlike areas with a tropical weather.
8. The region is the abode to 50 different species of animals living on the island, of which rats forming the largest section with 16 different species, followed by bats with 14 different species. The state bird symbol of the region is Andaman Wood Pigeon, which is an endemic species while the state animal is the Dugong or Sea Cow, which is also an endemic marine animal
9. The Island is the residence of almost 225 different species of butterflies and moths, of which most are not found anywhere else in India or the world
10. Although the last one may not appear to be a wonder but surely can be compared to devastation. The Island was struck with great force by almost 30 feet high waves during the December 2004 tsunami, as it situated at a distance of 750 kilometers from the epicenter of the earthquake. But the strange thing about this calamity was that although it uprooted trees, huts, killed and injured several humans, it did not change or alter the base of the land at all. The tsunami had either lowered or pushed up several beaches and shores after it hit, but somehow this part of the flat land was not altered in any way.
The island, now has many of the attractions missing after the devastation of 2004, but still it is an excellent place to release the knots in the head and relax. It is a great destination to enjoy the beauty of nature as well as its wonders in the form of the sea, beaches, flora and fauna and more.