8 Places to Visit at Mayabunder County of AndamanThe Andaman and Nicobar Islands hold a treasure of tourist attractions. It is the perfect destination for travelers with different tastes, as well as for those from all around the world. The Andaman Archipelago is home to some of the most exotic Islands and tourist attractions, which can make the travelers return again and again to this tourism treasure trove.
Mayabunder, also referred to as Maya Bandar is a beautiful county with several villages, situated in the Northern Andaman Islands at a distance of around 242 kilometers by road and 136 kilometers by sea, from Port Blair. The Mayabunder county is comprises of the main town of Mayabunder alongside 71 villages and 8 gram panchayats. The entire county or tehsil has a population of around 23,912 inhabitants in total with the main town being the only other port, apart from Port Blair, with the provision to receive ships directly departing from mainland India.
Mayabunder has many tourist spots within close proximity which makes it a hot bed for major tourism. It can be traversed via buses leaving Port Blair or by cruises with personal cabins available in them. Although the journey can be a little tiresome, but once you reach the place, you’ll realize that it was worth the trouble. So let’s find out what places are best, that are to be visited in the Mayabunder region.
8 Places to Visit in Mayabunder
1. The Karmatang BeachThe Karmatang Beach is among the most frequently visited tourist spots in this region of Andaman. It is the closest beach to the town of Mayabunder, only 12 kilometers. The beach is lined by clear blue waters, is very rich in coral reserves, has a few Mangrove lined tidal creeks and is also one of the nesting grounds for sea turtles
2. Mangrove CreeksThe Mayabunder region has one of the most beautiful nature’s wonder, situated within it that is not found anywhere else in the Andaman and Nicobar region. It is home to the meandering Mangrove fringed tidal creeks that offer an exquisite cruising experience for the visitors. Cruising through these creeks offer an ideal treat for nature lovers, bird watchers, researchers and education trips
3.;Pokhadera BeachAnother beautiful beach, located close to the Mayabunder jetty inside the Mahatma Gandhi National Park is the Pokhdera beach. It is a great place for coral viewing, snorkeling and of course swimming, with its white sandy shore and clear blue water
4. Ray HillMayabunder has a unique Eco Village situated within it that has been developed primarily to enhance tourism in the region. This Eco Village is housed at Ray Hill, which is only 20 minutes away via boat from the local jetty. This place offers several engaging activities such as rock climbing, elephant safari, angling, wilderness trekking and even a small library. This place is a delight for children and has guesthouses available for lodging overnight.
5. Avis IslandIf you are in the mood for a family Picnic, then the Avis Island is the ideal destination for you. This small Island, also referred to as the Coconut Island, is a great picnic spot, has a mini beach surrounded by pristine blue water and is only 15 minutes by boat from the Mayabunder town.
6. Austin X IslandLocated at a distance of about a 25 minute boat ride from the local town jetty, the Austin X Island is another lovely place to visit in the Mayabunder region. This Island is made exotic by a palm trees fringed beach and mangrove belt lined creeks. The entire Island is surrounded by shallow blue water and can make for an excellent spot for picnics, trekking and nature photography.
7. Anmol Driftwood MuseumBeing a developing town, Mayabunder, also houses a few museums, one of which is the Anmol Driftwood Museum. Managed by a private entrepreneur of the place, this museum showcases an interesting and unique collection of wood works, which can attract several artists and craftsman.
8. Forest MuseumLast but not the least, the town of Mayabunder, is the abode to a great Forest Museum, located very close to the jetty. This museum is an interesting place for the lovers of nature and even biologists as it has a rare collection of exquisite and exclusive flora and fauna, found only in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The tour of the Forest Museum is made even more interesting as it has an information center that informs the visitors about the collections preserved in the museum.
A visit to the county of Mayabunder, can expose tourists to a complete journey and understanding of the Andaman Islands, its culture, its people, its uniqueness and its natural beauty. So a trip to Mayabunder, can surely add some glorious and memorable moments to your vacation or holiday in the Andamans.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0